Sunday, January 25, 2009

Type I and Type II Technology

Type I technology can be defined as technology in the classroom used in such a way that it only makes past tasks more effective or efficient. The teaching/learning doesn't differ in any way other than being transferred onto a computer screen.
Type II technology adds a new dimension to the education experience; it allows users to think for themselves and make decisions based on prior intelligence or just curiosity. This technology teaches students in a brand new way, making connections that would not be possible without the use of a computer.


TYPE I
  • I consider the use of a computer for writing papers as Type I technology. You are doing the same thing, writing a paper, just not on paper anymore.
  • Email is for lazy people who can't print out papers and hand them to their teachers.
  • While some research can be Type II, in my pre-college experience, we used the internet to research instead of going to the library.
TYPE II
  • In 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade we played a game in computer lab called Number Munchers. I guess at the time I didn't realize it, but it allowed me to see numbers in a new way because they were on the screen and made into little cartoons and not just on a piece of white paper. It was a fun game because there were bonus levels and all that good stuff, so it really motivated us to get the right answers and learn the right answers for next time we played.
  • In middle school, we played Oregon Trail while learning about immigration. We had to make a story about the characters from the game. If one died in the game, they had to die in our story. Not many families survived. Haha.
  • Since the internet became popular, but mainly in high school, I've used it as a resource to become more involved in subjects I enjoy. Especially for literature, the internet gives access to other people who have read what I'm reading, a list of books that are related, movies based on the books, etc. It allows me to get a hold of information that wouldn't normally be available because of local resources or even location.

No comments:

Post a Comment